5 Steps to Creating Your Dream Home.
I believe a home is more than a house. What makes it special are the dreams that live there.
Would you like to create your own dream home? Here's how.
First, the size or shape of your home is not very important. It's how a home makes you feel. How it inspires you to dream. To nurture the real YOU to come out and play. My online shop, Maison Rêve, means dream home in French for a reason. I believe if you create your dream home -- a place that inspires you to live your dreams - it will help you live a more joyful and compassionate life.
How? Visualize a single drop in a lake. Its energy creates a ripple in the form of a circle. Then another larger ripple forms around that circle. Then another circle and so on.
YOU are the first drop. The first circle around YOU is your home. The next your family. Then work. Then community. And so on.
So first we start with YOU and your dreams. Which then extends out to your home. Then your work. You get the picture. That's how we create natural balance and sustainable joy. But it starts with YOU.
My 5 Steps to Creating Your Maison Reve:
1. Always Start with a Vision. Whether in business or life, having a vision is critical. The best way is to create a Vision Board for the life you want to have over the next year. Simply carve out time over a weekend for this creative project. Flip through magazines, cutting images that call to you. If you see a beautiful picture of a stack of books on a windowsill and feel inside "Wow, I wish I had time to read more." Clip it.
Then arrange the pictures in a collage and paste on a large white poster board. Don't spend weeks overthinking things, listen to your voice, then clip and glue. Post your new Vision Board in a happy spot you traffic a lot in your home. As you can see here, I have mine in my kitchen (top right) and create a new one each year. It's amazing how many things come into your life when you see your vision board daily.
It also helps you make decorating decisions. For example, if on your vision board are images of delicious, organic food, then clearing your kitchen counter tops of all the clutter and decorating them with a few healthy cookbooks and colorful mixing bowls will call you in to cook new recipes.
2. Write Down Your 5 Life Values. Again, every good company actively creates a culture around what they value. So why do we live without clearly knowing what our values are? Think of your values as the rudder of a sailboat. Without one, you will drift around with no clear path. This leads to overextending ourselves with projects that are not in line with our life's purpose. Knowing your values also makes daily decision making fast and simple.
All it takes is an hour and the back of a napkin. Write down what you value most. I did this a few years ago. On my napkin it says 1) Compassion 2) Creativity 3) Inspiration 4) Organic and Seasonal 5) Realness. My values then guide everyday decisions whether it's decorating my home or living my life.
Ok, let me give you an example. Rather than having 3 sets of inexpensive bed sheets made in China that don't inspire me, I just have one set of high quality, organic linen sheets from Libeco Lagae for a restful nights sleep (yes, I sell everything Libeco if you want some too!) It meets my values of inspiration, organic and realness. And compassion because I feel good caring for our Planet when I buy products made sustainably.
Here's another one. My husband and I would pick up groceries each week from 3 different groceries stores (a local grocery store, Safeway and Costco) because items were cheaper at different places. After writing my values, I simplified this one weekly decision. I decided to go to our farmers market with the kids and get most items. Anything else I couldn't get there I'd buy from our local, organic grocery store - which is a very inspiring place. Our grocery bills went down (no more wasted food from overbuying and gas bills driving everywhere). We had fun chats with farmers about what's fresh. This inspired us to create seasonal dishes costing less money. And I get a lot more positive energy from knowing this one simple decision aligns with ALL my values.
3. Create White Space. Create rooms filled with what I call "white space" - open, uncluttered places in our physical world allowing our soul room to breathe. White space is critical to living your dream life. It allows your passions and higher calling space to blossom. At least for me, when my home is cluttered and feels draining, my life reflects the same. When my home is inspiring, filled with lightness and lots of white space, so is my life!
Start by de-cluttering rooms with things that bring your energy down. Most of us have way too much stuff. What we keep in our homes should have meaning and positive energy, along with plenty of white space. My favorite book on this subject is The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo.
4. Practice Mindfulness. Organize areas to make life simple and pleasurable. This will slow the fast pace of life down. Choose monochrome color schemes to relax the mind. Add fresh seasonal blooms each week (can simply be a few fallen branches you find on a hike) to connect your soul with nature. Create simple areas for daily meditation or yoga practice. All these efforts reflect a mindful lifestyle. Actively creating these spaces now will support their growth in your daily routine.
5. Add Character and Inspiration. Time for the really fun part! Let vintage objects, filled with soul, history, color and stories, bring out your creativity. Look back at your Vision Board. Is your calling to write? Place a beautiful old Underwood typewriter on your desk reminding you to express yourself daily. Is your passion to paint? Cluster weathered paintbrushes in pretty bottles on your desk. Want to travel the world? Stack colorful vintage suitcases at the end of a hallways. Want to learn how to play an instrument? Maybe a French drum would make you get moving. How about walking more in nature? Sea glass bottles filled with fresh cut blooms always do the trick for me.
These objects filled with unique personality are here to inspire your dreams to take seed and soar. Repurpose vintage pieces you may already have at home. Or explore Maison Reve Shop for one calling to come home and inspire you.
Whether your home is 500 or 5,000 square feet. It doesn't matter. It's about creating a dream home reflecting a creative and mindful lifestyle so you can enjoy the present moment. Filled with passion and connection to life itself.
Were these tips inspiring? If so, you might like YStories!